The Sony Alpha a7S Mirrorless Digital Camera features a full-frame 12.2MP Exmor CMOS sensor and BIONZ X image processor to enable notable video and still image quality with an expansive dynamic range, low noise, and extended sensitivity to ISO 409600. At the sensor level, this full-frame sensor features a unique on-chip gapless lens design, which incorporates small lenses between neighboring pixels in order to increase light-gathering efficiency and promote greater image quality across the entirety of the sensor plane. The sensor and processor combination also avails a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, including a top continuous shooting rate of 5 fps, support for 4K video recording, and a fast 25-point contrast-detection AF system with sensitivity to -4 EV.
Beyond its still image performance, the a7S is also quite adept in regard to recording video. It is able to output uncompressed 4:2:2 UHD 4K video to an optional external recorder over HDMI, as well as record full HD 1080p video in the high-quality XAVC S format at 50 Mbps in multiple frame rates. Extending the video recording capabilities is support for S-Log2 gamma, which helps to expand the effective dynamic range during recording, as well as picture profile options, time code, and zebra marker display aids. Sound can be recorded in the AAC/Linear PCM format via the internal stereo microphone, with a built-in headphone jack for on-board monitoring, or via an external microphone.
Rounding out the a7S’s imaging capabilities, both a 3.0″ 921.6k-dot tilting LCD monitor and 2.36 million-dot OLED electronic viewfinder are available for image monitoring and review. Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity, with support for NFC, is available, too, for instant sharing of imagery from the camera as well as remote camera control from a linked mobile device.
- Dimensions: 5.0 x 3.7 x 1.9" / 126.9 x 94.4 x 48.2 mm
- Weight: 1.08 lb / 489 g with battery and memory card
- Sensor: CMOS, 35.8 x 23.9 mm
- Resolutions (Frame rates):
1920 x 1080 (60 fps, 30 fps, 24 fps)
1280 x 720 (120 fps)
1440 x 1080 (30 fps)
640 x 480 (30 fps)
- Formats: MP4, AVCHD
- Aspect Ratios: 16:9, 4:3
- ISO Sensitivity: 100-102400 (Extended Mode: 50-409600)
- Sony Alpha a7S Mirrorless Digital Camera
- 2 x Sony NP-FW50 Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery (1020mAh)
- Sony BC-TRW W Series Battery Charger
- 2 x Sony - 64GB High Speed UHS-I SDXC U3 Memory Card
- Lexar Multi-Card 25-in-1 USB 3.0 Reader
- 2 x USB 3.0 A Male to Micro B Male Cable